Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thoughts on the Process

I learned an amazing amout while writing Dear Samantha. I learned that:

  • I can finish a large project like this;
  • If you show up every day, the work will get done;
  • If you write every day your writing will get better;
  • If you show up and start typing, the words will come, and the ideas will flow, almost like water flowing from a faucet;
  • Inspiration comes not when you're consciously thinking about it, but when you're in line at the grocery store, in the bathtub, stirring the soup, and walking the dogs;
  • You become very attached to your characters, and are sad when bad things happen to them;
  • Sometimes the things you plan for your story don't go exactly the way you want them to go. In other words, the characters have a mind of their own.

So, where do I go from here, novelist that I now am (LOL!)

  • Print out all 82 pages and read it straight through (trying hard not to gag!)
  • Think about revising and re-working (someday!)

What's next?

  • This blog will become something new and completely different - a "craft" blog, where I can review and discuss the books I'm reading on the craft of writing, post recommendations and exercises, and post samples of my daily writing practice.

Stay tuned....

3 comments:

Betty Carlson said...

Congratulations on your writing project!

Blogging is certainly a good way to hone one's writing skills. I knew my writing-in-a-journal-in-a-café days were over, and keeping up on my blogs has given me plenty of practice.

Femin Susan said...

How awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Wishing you " A Happy 2009”.

Harshad Mehta said...

Yes, writing like any other skills, improve with regular practice. One must show up & write every day like going to work.

Thanks for sharing. Lots to learn for me.